“We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the secret sits in the middle and knows.”
– Robert Frost
There are certain times when you can sit back in the stillness of your mind and just wonder where in the world you are? When I say you I’m not talking about the flesh and bone vehicle that you are currently travelling in, no, I mean the real you! Listen, right now and you can hear yourself reading these words but where are you as you listen?
Are you the listener or are you the speaker?
Take your time to consider this and as you do I would like to offer you yet another position, that of the watcher. Because you are watching as you listen to yourself speaking, are you not?
What if your watcher deploys your Saboteur? A greater you that has all of the answers, intrinsically connected to you and the rest of the universe simultaneously.
I wanted to find a way of engaging with the watcher, understanding what purpose he holds for me, aligning my consciousness with that purpose, and therefore, utilising the Saboteur to support me.
So without any further ado, here is the exercise.
Exercise 11: The Saboteur Within Exercise
You will need a coach or a friend, five pieces of paper, and a little bit of room to walk around.
- Take five pieces of paper, which will represent the following:
- This is where you are now
- This is your goal or desired outcome
- This is your Saboteur
- This is your resources
- This is even more resources
- Place A) on the floor and get a sense of where you are right now.
- Next walk forward and place your goal out in front of you, then return to A).
- Next, Place C) your Saboteur anywhere you wish between A) and B).
- Next, Notice do you self sabotage early, half way or just before you could attain your goal?
- Move your Saboteur to the left, so that you can see your goal clearly.
- Place your resources D) and E) where you want them.
- Walk to your goal and stepping on D) and E) as you go and taking the time to fully access your resources.
- Next, Step to the side and see yourself achieving your goal with your resources.
- Go back to the start point and bring your Saboteur back into line with A), B), D) and E).
- Take a step into the first resources; fully experience what those resources allow you to do.
- Take a step into your Saboteur. What do you experience?
- Ask the Saboteur, what is his/her positive intention behind being there?
- Ask your Saboteur if he/she is willing to work with you to get to the goal.
- Bring all the resources from the Saboteur inside of you.
- Take a step onto e) your second resources and add them to your journey.
- Take a step into your goal and how does it feel. What do you experience?
- Step to the side and fully experience your journey to your goal.
- View from the watchers position and connect to the universe, allow yourself permission to remain connected as you appoint your Saboteur, to support you, whilst you take full responsibility for yourself.
- Hold that position and feel the love flooding through you, you are awesome!
I have used this exercise in different countries, with many different cultures and guess what? Everyone knows, instinctively, at which point they will sabotage themselves!
If you sit here hypothesising you won’t get it, but as soon as you lay the pieces down in front of you, the watcher is allowed to engage with you.
Some people put the Saboteur down close to them, which means that they never really get started and subsequently never set goals, because they are unachievable.
Some people put the Saboteur down at about half way, so they’ve gotten half way to succeeding and the Saboteur de-rails them. With “It’s just not for me” “who was I kidding!”
My heart goes out to the final group who put the Saboteur down just before they reach their goal. Imagine that, if you will, you have struggled night and day for months on end, overcoming huge obstacles, slaying dragons and demons en route, only to quit, when the end is insight!
For all of you I would like to offer this poem, which can keep a fire burning in you. The author of this poem was so amazing that he or she didn’t even sign it, that is what I call leaving an impression.
“When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don’t you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow–
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor’s cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out–
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit–
It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.”
– Author unknown
Is this a cool poem or what?